All You Need To Know About The Prospective Marriage Visa

About Me
Finding a new way to run our school

We think we run our school pretty well, but you can always improve how you are doing things. We are looking to make some plans for how the school will be not just for the first few years but also for the next few years. We are getting some management consultants to run some sessions to get ideas from everyone from the staff, teachers, parents and even the students. If you would like to know more about how using a management consultant can give a school better feedback and improve its strategic focus, then I think you'll find this blog really useful.


All You Need To Know About The Prospective Marriage Visa

13 October 2020
 Categories: , Blog

The prospective marriage visa is a nine-month permit that allows a partner of an Australian citizen to visit Australia for nine months before their wedding. Below are some things you should know about this visa.  

Who Does It Apply To?

The visa can only be applied by couples that intend to marry. The permit is non-renewable. If you do not marry before the expiry date of the visa, you may be deported back to your home country. Once you get married, you could apply for a partner visa (subclass 820 or 801) to extend your stay in the country. People that have the prospective marriage visa can work and study in Australia. Also, they can travel in and out of the country as many times as they would want. 

What Is the Criteria? 

The primary eligibility criteria for this visa is that you have to be engaged to an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Therefore, you must produce sufficient evidence of your intent to marry. More often than not, the department will ask you to provide a letter from a certified marriage celebrant. Your wedding does not have to be held inside Australia. Applicants should be 18 years and above. Besides, they must meet health and character requirements. If you have a child, the department will assess how the permit will affect the child's life. The department could reject your application if the department thinks that the child's life will be affected once you visit Australia. Your sponsor (partner-to-be) should not owe any debt to the Australian government. Besides, they should have adequate finances to support your stay in Australia. 

How Can a Lawyer Help?

An immigration lawyer will help you with the visa application process. Consider the following when choosing a lawyer: 

  1. Check the lawyer's license. Licenced attorneys will observe a strict code of conduct.
  2. Check the lawyer's reputation to know their success rate in previous cases.
  3. Consider lawyers that provide internet services. 
  4. Check their coverage. The lawyer should have professional liability coverage to protect you from errors and negligence.

Other than organising your documents, the lawyer will also prepare you for your interview. Typically, you will be required to validate your relationship. For instance, your case officer could ask you to validate your relationship. For example, they would want to know relationship milestones such as when the relationship began, whether you have met your partner's family, or when you got engaged.  

Speak with a professional for more information about prospective marriage visas